Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mudbound

I feel like we have all been "Mudbound" the past couple of months. What a lot of rain. I will probably regret saying that in July.

I finished Mudbound in one weekend. I felt like I flew through it. But I couldn't wait to see what the next person would say. I know several people are reading this book. I would like to know what other people think of the husband. Do women today put up with men like this? Who make all the decisions without even asking the wife? I think if my husband had come home and said, "Honey, I've bought a farm, we're moving," I would have told him he could move by himself.

I think I especially feel strong about it because I grew up on a farm and one thing I knew from the time I found out how to read, was that I wanted out. I hated the farm, (sorry, Daddy) and I knew I wanted to live in a small town like the people I read about in books. I wanted neighbors--some nice, some eccentric, some crazy. I wanted to walk to school. I wanted a drugstore with a soda fountain down the street. I knew my life would be perfect if I just lived in a small town. I never wanted to live in the city. Maybe because we knew Memphis. It was a little scary for me.

I would like to ask the author, why Mississippi? Is there something specific that wouldn't fit anywhere else?

5 comments:

maggie moran said...

I love it, Jo Ellen. I'll add the question to the list. I'll give you a little background on the book, but you must promise not to give it away.

I read that she based some of the book on stories from her grandparents experiences in Arkansas. Would the book have the same impact set in Arkansas or even Alabama?

Oh, I think Hillary got the time and actions of Laura right; although, I might have made her less educated.

My own grandmother, Sweetheart, was 21/22 years old in 1946 and she waited on my grandfather, Paw Paw, as if he was a king. Here's an example, she got up every morning at 4:30 to make breakfast for my grandfather who went to the farm at 5AM. (Dang, I don't even cook!) Another example, my grandfather liked to hit the side of his dish, bowl, glass, etc. when he wanted more and she would get up and refill said object. Crazy!

Thanks for helping out with the questions. :)

LeeLee said...

I'm going to have to read Mudbound now. Your questions have drawn me in. I'm still thinking about your cover comments and now I'm wondering how important the title is to you. Is it more or less important than the cover? In my own novel writing, I have never gotten beyond the title.

maggie moran said...

I'm guessing you may be done w/ Mudbound? Wanna write a Haiku for it?!? ;D

jo ellen said...

hi, leelee. good question. I tend to forget the title ofa book as soon as I put it down. Even while I'm reading it. I think I'm just a cover person.

jo ellen said...

hi, Maggie. I'm afraid of haikus. and I've already too far away from Mudbound. I finished All the kIng's Men and am re-reading Raney.